Apple iOS 7 on iPhone 4S - First Looks and Impressions Review - Performance Loss or Gain ?. The big question is: Does iOS 7 run good and fast on an iPhone 4S - YES and it runs AMAZINGLY WELL!
iPhone 4 owners may not be so lucky as they're running the older Apple A4 single core CPU which will likely lead to a clunky slow performing phone. I haven't personally tested it but the Apple A4 CPU that was in my iPad 1 faired badly using iOS 5.01 so you've been warned!
Please read on...
A quick first looks and impressions video of Apple's newly release iOS 7. The latest rendition of Apple's iOS is pretty awesome and definitely an evolution of their highly successful and tightly integrated mobile OS platform. Definitely worth trying out if you own an iDEVICE with an A5 or better processor. If you're an iPhone or iPod Touch owner that still uses the Apple A4 chip you may want to think twice before you try to upgrade to iOS 7.
Back in 2011 when Apple released iOS 5 for the iPhone 3GS and the Ipad 1 the performance decrease was so dramatic that owners of these devices experienced painstakingly slow lack lustre performance forcing owners to either jailbreak and force downgrade their devices or they had to go out and spend $100's MORE of their hard earned dollars to buy the latest and greatest available iOS device. I personally got screwed when i upgrade to iOS 5 on my iPhone 3GS and iPad 1 so I was left with little to no option buy to buy an iPhone 4S and subsequently an iPad 4. Rest assured that the iPhone 4S will run iOS with little difficulty and in fact I love the feel and additions to the OS.
Is this going to be the next Android OS killer? Not likely as Android has done some pretty kick ass enhancements on their Android OS 4.2. iOS 7 has duplicated some of Android's useful offerings and it is a welcomed change for us iOS users.
Key features that I liked that DO work on the iPhone 4S
1. Notification center is less busy looking and has a more pleasing looking background
2. System settings such as bluetooth, wifi, camera and screen brightness are easily accessed now with a single "swipe up from home button" - Apple calls it "Control Centre". No more embedded menus to go through to change simple on/off settings.
3. Enhanced security - "Find my iPhone" can be set to require passcode to power off, erase or change settings. Great if you lose your phone b/c it will be useless to the person that finds it.
4. Soft screen power up/down. Screen gradually fades and disappears
5. New additional free ring tones
6. Apps have a more modernized and refined appearance
7. Spotlight is now a "swipe down from centre screen". No more scrolling through pages an pages of apps to get to spotlight.
8. No degradation of speed or loss of performance on iPhone 4S and iPad 2, iPad Mini and iPod Touch 5th generation.
9. Johnny Ive and his team helped create the new and improved iOS 7
10. Apple packed in apps just look better overall
11. During iOS 7 automatically upgrades all apps that have been signed and upgraded to have an iOS 7 version.
12. App store can now auto upgrade apps on the fly as needed without requiring user input.
13. Siri is DRAMATICALLY improved offering both male and female voices that are less "harsh sounding". Siri can now also look into information on Wikipedia and Twitter now making it a little more intelligent.
15. Safari looks a lot more like Safari for Macintosh OSX. Google search no longer has its own field, instead you use the URL bar to key in your search parameters.
16. Camera app includes in camera filters and a square picture taking option
17. Apps can multi task better than ever with apps fetching data in the background more often. I am not sure how to describe this but it is better than even iOS 6
18. iTunes Radio - great concept but currently available in the USA only.
Things that DO NOT work on iPhone 4S and older phones or features I didn't like:
1. 2D "flat" appearance of icons is 50/50 with me. I neither liked nor disliked the saturated pastel colours of the Apple pack in applications.
2. There is no airdrop feature available for the iPhone 4S and older devices. Sucks because that would have been REALLY handy for me.
3. I can't believe Apple claims the iPhone 4 is supported by iOS 7. I'm betting it will be slow as hell and the overall experience would "suck". If an iPad 1 with iOS 5.0.1 was any indication of what it means to be clunky then iPhone 4 with iOS 7 would be that! iPhone 4 in my opinion is going to be cripple HUGE with iOS 7.
4. This is probably not iOS 7's issue per se but this is probably the last OS upgrade that my iPhone 4S can handle well. I'm sure when iOS 8 comes out that my iPhone will be due to be replaced as with many iDevices that employ the Apple A5 CPU.
5. iTunes radio - Currently not available in Canada yet.
Tags: Apple iOS 7 on iPhone 4S - First Looks and Impressions Review - Performance Loss or Gain ?, Apple Inc. (Organization), IOS 7, iPhone, iPad, iPod, iPod Touch, A5, A6, A7, A4, A5X, A6X, A7X, Johnny Ive, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5S, iPhone 5C, iPad 2, iPad 3, iPad 4, iPad Mini, review, first looks, impressions, speed, performance, slow, fast, awesome, iOS, iOS 5, iOS 6, Mac OS, OSX, iTunes, Android, competing, operating system, jailbreak, down grade, upgrade, spotlight, apps, Notification Center (Software), control center